Glass is a big part of construction these days. It is used in windows, walls, for internal divisions, and as an architectural feature. In construction, it is usually used as a safety type such as reinforced, toughened, and laminated glass.
The glass might be the answer for your construction needs if you want to build a business office, conference facility, hotel, or showroom. It is so versatile that it can be used inside and out, for every need from windows to walls to doors to stairs to walkaways.
There are different types of glasses for construction. The most common ones are:
- Insulating: For enhancing thermal insulation, solar control, acoustic insulation, safety, and decoration.
- Laminated: Offers the greatest design flexibility. Your best option for an office, classroom, hospital, or home.
- Interiors: Also known as decorative glass. It adds style and sophistication to space.
- Printed: It has revolutionized the use of glass in architecture and interior decoration.
- Integral Blinds: A quality integral blind provides a sealed environment within the double glazed unit. The main benefit is that always looks new and will never require cleaning.
Keep reading to learn how to take care of glass to save time and money.
Glass can be assembled to have different characteristics and presentations. You should know that glass can be obtained in a wide variety of colors and with a collection of metallic coatings to give a decorative look. For instance, is you want to create a blue color you can combined green glass with blue PVB plastic and clear glass.
Treatments can change the surface and physical characteristics of the glass. So be careful when using any treatment on your glass as it might change the color or appearance.
Don’t Forget To Clean The Frames
People forget that most glass needs to be in a frame. Of course, there is frameless glass but the most popular and versatile system often includes aluminum frames. But please don’t you dare think that your windows will all have grey frames.
Aluminum can be manufactured in a wide variety of coated colors. It can be cut and fitted together to create the frames for doors, windows, and curtain walls.
It is important to know how to clean the frames to avoid damaging the glass. You have to keep in mind that you can damage both the glass and the frames if you use the wrong cleaning equipment.
Learn How To Do It Correctly
It is important to learn how to take care of different types of glasses. For instance, laminated windows provide an extra level of safety. The thin coat that is applied to both sides prevents the glass from shattering everywhere. They also provide a good sound barrier. So you need to be careful not to use an abrasive scrubber to avoid damaging the vinyl coating.
According to TPRS Enterprise to clean laminated glass is easy as all you need is:
- Non-abrasive glass cleaner
- Soft cloths or squeegee
You need to follow three steps to clean your laminated glass:
- Spray non-abrasive glass cleaner over the glass
- With the soft cloth or squeegee wipe the surface clean
- Keep doing this until all of the dirt and cleaner have been removed
Integral blinds, on the other hand, do not need any cleaning as they are designed specifically for commercial applications, such as healthcare, education, and workplace environments. But this doesn’t mean you can’t use them in your house.
To take good care of your glass it is important to know the difference between annealed glass and safety glass. Why? So you know which products are safe to use or not.
Annealed glass is the common glass that is often used in houses and businesses everywhere. This type of glass is not safe and be shatter into dangerous shards.
Safety glass comes in two types:
- Laminated safety glass: It is made from sheets of annealed glass that cemented together using PVB. It is often used for external building windows.
- Tempered or toughened glass: It is glass that has been heated in a furnace and rapidly cooled. This type of glass is 5-6 times stronger than annealed glass and much more resistant to thermal shock.
Finally, it is a good idea to look for a company that has respect for human relationships in business, credibility, trust, humility, and innovation such as TPRS Enterprise to help you find the best type of glass for your building needs.
References & Citations
- TPRS Glass. 2020. Digital Printing For Glass | Laminated Glass | Insulating Glass | Toughened Glass. [online] Available at: <https://tprsenterprises.in/architectural-glass/> [Accessed 17 April 2020].
- TPRS Glass. 2020. Interiors | Windows | Partitions | Walls | Staircase | Railings | TPRS Glass. [online] Available at: <https://tprsenterprises.in/interior-glass/> [Accessed 17 April 2020].
- TPRS Glass. 2020. Laminated Glass | Insulating Glass | Digital Printing | Tempered Glass |TPRS. [online] Available at: <https://tprsenterprises.in/> [Accessed 17 April 2020].
- Image Glassworks. 2020. Safety Glass: Tempered Vs Laminated | Image Glassworks. [online] Available at: <https://www.imageglassworks.com/tempered-glass-vs-laminated-glass/> [Accessed 18 April 2020].
- Bautech, A., 2020. Four Tips When Using Glass In Construction. [online] Aluglass Bautech. Available at: <https://www.aluglass.co.za/four-tips-using-glass-construction/> [Accessed 18 April 2020].
- Store, T., 2020. What You Need To Know Before Cleaning Tempered Glass. [online] Thejanitorialstore.com. Available at: <https://www.thejanitorialstore.com/public/What-You-Need-to-Know-Before-Cleaning-Tempered-Glass-528.cfm> [Accessed 18 April 2020].
- Cyberglasstrade.com. 2020. [online] Available at: <http://cyberglasstrade.com/images/techinfo/Maintenance%20Guidelines.pdf> [Accessed 18 April 2020].